Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Wild and Wooly Democracy of Craig's List


For the last six months or so, I have been dating people I've met on Craig's List, (abbreviated henceforth as CL)and it's been such an interesting, fun, kind of amazing experience. Much more positive than sites like Match and Nerve and J date. I have a theory about CL, which I am spreading far and wide:
That most people log on to buy or sell a couch or find an apartment, then happen to wander over to the women-seeking-men section "just to browse." So, you end up with a wider cross section of people who are less likely to just obsessively troll dating sites, like kids in a candy store. You also get more variation in terms of age, ethnicity, nationality and in general a quirkier more intellectual more artistically-minded crowd.

That said, there are drawbacks:
1) You have to be very, very, VERY selective. Very. For instance, I usually get 80 or 100 responses to an ad (incredibly ego-gratifying, even if 99 percent are crazies). Of those, maybe I respond to 10, and end up talking to maybe 3 and meeting maybe two. So, process of selection is rigorous but the results are superior.
2) 99 percent are crazies
3) You have to risk exposing your email and photos to a bunch of crazies. Thus the selectivity.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that CL rocks! I'm having a great time and meeting very cool people. Who knew?

Ciao amici--
Paola
P.S.
I don't have any fun photos so I put up one of my favorites from Procida. Una isola bella.

1 comment:

Blueeyes said...

Paula -- Do you use a different email account for your CL adventures? You know, a separate yahoo! or gmail! account. So you don't have to expose your normal email account (and full name!)... of course, that is more accounts to obsessively check... ;)