Saturday, November 24, 2007

Friends, family, turkey









































Life is looking up. I have ALL my essays in--I'm waiting for one major revision and two fairly minor revisions and the last two essays were/will be AMAZING. Really kicked the book up another notch. (It's nice to be able to brag and not feel cocky, since I didn't actually write these essays.) The end of the book is near. What lies ahead? This is the part I feel I have control over, but people's reactions to it? No control. I need to thicken up my famously thin skin and get ready for criticism, never my strong point. I have to learn how to talk about sex, my reasons for doing this book, without any embarrassment. (Good thing I didn't think of all this before I did the book or I would never have done it.)
Just before the holiday, got to spend some good, quality time with my oldest friend Ricki (we met when we were both in 5th grade and have been friends ever since, no betrayals, double crossings or major fights in 34 years); that's her above, with her bluer than blue eyes, in our lame attempt to photograph ourselves.
Turkey Day was lovely--long walks in 66 degree weather, pumpkin soup, out-of-this-world stuffing (thanks for my talented brother-in-law) and lots of snuggling with my nephews. We also did some archery, sat by the wood-burning stove, read tons and tons and tons (I had a galley of a collection of love stories put together by Dave Eggers, which will be coming out in a few months. What an incredible collection of stories, especially the last one, by Alice Munroe, which made me cry. How amazing to be so drawn in to a story that is only 20 pages long).
Then, last night, back home in NYC again, I saw my friend Pam's new baby, Alec, who, at nearly six weeks, is starting to smile and interact--then coaxed Pam out of the apartment to bar Veloce, where we had some Tuscan reds and panini. Pefecto.
A nice start to the holiday season.
Ciao amici!
Paola





2 comments:

Blueeyes said...

Hey, Paula -- interesting way to describe our friendship: "no betrayals, double crossings or major fights in 34 years)". What about the oddly parallel lifes we have led in the romantic department (usually, with your meeting/break up with someone 2 weeks to 2 months behind mine ;)) I'm hoping to follow you next time! Not to mention all the life events and 'firsts' we have shared!

Plus, you didn't mention that this is not our best picture. :)
Love,
Ricki

Unknown said...

Hi you guys! Paula and Ricki, I just read the blog, and I thought that it was a great picture! You two look the same to me (after all these years!)
Love to both of you!
Robin