Sunday, November 11, 2007

Material goods


Certain people (who shall go nameless but they know who they are) have been agitating for me to blog more frequently, so here I am again, despite the fact that the book is due in THREE weeks, perfectly in conjunction with a month at work where I have close to 3 times the stories as usual (we're doing a special section on body image/finding your happy weight). I think I have it under control.
Here's what remains to be done:
  1. Get revisions for one essay by Martha Southgate on emotional affairs
  2. Get first drafts of essay by Lauren Slater and Hope Edelman (wish I knew how to link to these folks but I have reached my techno-blogosphere limit, at least without access to patient human instruction.
  3. Once all the essays are in, I want to staple each story together, then experiment with moving them around in sequence, so I can figure out the best "flow." This feels most challenging to me because I've never done anything like it before, but I'm just trying to use my editing sense on a more macro level--kind of like an editor in chief of a magazine focusing on the editorial and visual mix.
  4. Give a sharp eye to all the titles of the essays and make sure they're the most compelling and provocative and true they can be (yet also unexpected).
  5. Do final little edit polishes throughout--this is the part I know I'm going to get OCD about.
  6. Finish author bio page.
  7. Email it in on December 3rd.
  8. Celebrate? Celebrate! But how?

Well, conveniently enough, I have a list of ever-more-tangible ideas about how I want to celebrate completing the book. (sob! I don't want it to be over!! I don't want it to be over!!! What if my life gets boring afterward when I don't get to talk and think about sex every day! :-) (Mom and dad, if you're reading, I'm kidding!)

Anyways, here are a few things I dream of buying with the teeny-tiny little pile I'll have by the time I'm finished with this:

  1. A real, grown-up, serious, maxium-impact with maximum understatement watch. I'm thinking Tag heur, stainless, round face (hopefully with military in addition to regular numbering which works very well for me in places like Rome). And maybe a few discreet diamonds (four?). So, we'll see how something like that costs--I've kind of been afraid to find out.
  2. Another throw or even a full blanket by Smith & Warren in cashmere--in a really fantastic color.
  3. 20 sessions with a personal trainer
  4. A 4 day spa trip to Red Mountain spa

That's it. Does that seem excessive? It kind of does to me, so I'm only going to do all of it if the book sells enough (25,000 copies) for me to get a bonus. Sounds like a plan to me! Do I seem too materialistic? It's weird to talk about what I want to buy.

Ciao amici!

Paola

1 comment:

Deb Abramson said...

Oh my god, linking is so easy even I can do it.

1. Open up the site you want to link to in a new browser window.
2. Copy the URL.
3. In your blog entry, select the text you want to use as the link.
4. Click on the chain icon in the menu bar.
5. Paste the URL into the window that comes up, hit OK, and you're good to go.