Sunday, July 13, 2008

A mitzvah in Central Park

Today, I was run/walking my way around the Central Park Reservoir and a young woman (from Spain?) and her maybe 10 year old daughter stopped me. She asked me if I spoke Spanish, I said un poco, but she must have suspected the extent of my limitations because she conveyed to me, in her limited english, that they were lost and had gotten separated from her husband, then she cried a little bit. The daughter looked unfazed. I told her to go to the next stopping point at the reservoir (el primo lugar con mucho gente), then she said she'd wait there, then she described her husband to me (cream hat, yellow shirt), and I said I'd direct him there if I ran into him. Sure enough, I kept running for about 5 minutes and saw a guy with a yellow shirt and cream baseball hat walking quickly and looking perturbed, and I conveyed the situation to him in Spanish. Successfully I hope.
I didn't run very fast but see what I would have missed if I hadn't gotten out there?
Ciao amici--
Paola

No comments: