Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Purples skies and fireflies


That's what happens at 7:30 pm, the perfect time to run around the Central Park Reservoir this time of year. I did it last night and felt grateful that I get to live in the cool and beautiful place that I do.

I am the proud owner of an iPhoneG3. I am in love. I am addicted. I have downloaded more than 100 songs--I am spending an inordinate amount of time playing with my computer, but I feel as if I'm suddenly catching up to what everyone has been so jazzed about--I've become a 'pod person, only the phone is so much cooler and better than the mere 'pod. Tomorrow, I plan to go over to the Apple Store in Rock Center and take a free tutorial, buy earphones that fit me and a better case, and generally groove on the Apple vibe. I've used Macs at work for the past decade, but I've never become a junkie, but this device is like a little person--I've taken to calling it "Little buddy," in my head, a nickname my dear friend Pam sometimes bestows on me. You interact with it, it does things for you like locate you in time and space (which is extremely helpful to someone as directionally challenged as I am, it can suggest restaurants based on where you are standing within 20 blocks. I'm not allowing myself to download yet--I need to get a better grasp on the basics first. But I think I'm becoming more tech savvy--maybe not a bad thing given the imminent arrival of my book!

Speaking of my book buy book!), we are now on cover version 4, and the conversation has kicked up to the associate publisher. It's a nail biter for me, that's for sure. When it's all over, I'll post 'em for all to see and admire or deride at will.

Ciao belli--
Paola

P.S.
Yes, I've had a few iPhone mishaps, as well. There was the unfixable bubble that appeared on my pristine iPhone screen after I diligently tried to apply the screen saver (screwed that up), then crashed my computer while trying to download iTunes (I had too many applications open), and when I rebooted, everything on the screen was sideways. Turns out if you press control/alt/option/delete, or some such, which I did, trying to force quit, you can turn your screen sideways. It was quite puzzling and annoying (I was already looking up the Geek Squad number. There went another $200 toward a computer worth only $1200. At what point do you just get a new one?

PPS...The iPhone earplugs don't fit inside my ears. Do I have abnormally small ear openings? They won't stay in.

1 comment:

angheluruju said...

interesting (?) techie comments on the iphone :

http://james.cridland.net/blog/2008/07/17/iphone-fail-20/