Sunday, February 10, 2008

Flat on my face

I had a lovely weekend in Houston, until this morning, after a run around Rice University in 75 degree weather, I tripped over an uneven sidewalk and went down, smacking my face on the pavement. Luckily, I didn't break my nose or any teeth, but I do look a bit like someone smacked me in the face with a frying pan: My lip is swollen and cut, I have a big round cut between my nose and my mouth, I have cuts on my nose and some on my hands. Basically, I look a bit like a freak show (or a victim of domestic abuse). Somehow, I don't think I'll be going on any dates this week. I wish I could stay home from work, too. YUCK.
Now I'm at the airport, in Houston, waiting for my flight, which was delayed due to bad weather in NYC. Luckily, I can get online and am getting some good work done on book revisions, so that's a good thing.

So, the good stuff about Houston--my friends Bettina and Martin have a lovely, light-filled house on a tree-lined block; not only did I have my own room, I had my own section of the house, complete with bathroom and kitchen. It was great hanging out with them--we had terrific Mexican, innovative Indian, I got to spend lots of nice time with her adorable kids, and Bettina and I got lots of good conversation in, not to mention two 3 mile run/walks. Plus, I saw the DeMenile collection, which was amazing, especially the surrealist galleries. And the balmy weather didn't hurt things, either. Now, if I could just walk around with a paper bag over my head until I get all healed up. I feel very self conscious.

Ciao--
Paola

No comments: