Sunday, July 22, 2007

Home improvement





I got a burst of energy this weekend (perhaps because I slept til almost noon on Saturday, and fixed up my apartment. My friend Millicent helped me hang several prints I'd gotten in Europe and rearrange others, then I made a major impulse buy. There is a great new furniture store on around 100th and Broadway with fair-trade furniture. Really unique and beautiful stuff from recycled wood. So I got a chest of drawers/hutch type thing and I've decided I'm going to leave it mostly empty now. I need to make room for another person in my life, so we will see who (or what )fills it. It also feels very luxurious to have a bunch of unused storage space in a New York City apartment. I also rearranged the office portion of my bedroom, moving the bookcase and some photographs. I'm very happy with all the results.

Also hung these two very special photographs I bought in Berlin side by side over my dining room table. They remind me of stained glass windows, only they are fragments of photographs taken by the artist, pieced together. The more you look at them, the more you see.

It's nice to now be surrounded by so many reminders of my trip--Vernazza and Siena in the bedroom, a little more Siena over the couch, some Berlin in the dining nook, with a final large Berlin print from the Bauhaus museum to follow in a few days. It felt very important to make a post-breakup change of significance around this place.

Going on a date with a new guy tonight. Two in one week--I guess I'm really dating. I don't know whether to say YIKES or YIPPEE!
Ciao--
Paola

2 comments:

Spoon of life said...

Great job at the apartment and I have my fingers crossed for the date!!!

Paula said...

All I'll say is, it's a PROCESS. The dating thing.
P.