Friday, July 13, 2007

Working late and neglecting the blog!



Wow. I feel as if I am truly back in New York, Italy glow starting to wear off a tad. I've been in the office til 10:30, two nights in a row, starting to dip my toe into the dating world (which, unfortunately, doesn't always feel exactly fun) and am generally a bit grumpy. Grrrr. But I have been getting to wear my new glasses at work a lot, doing all that computer work. Much as I love SELF (and I do!) I don't like working 12-hour days--I'm glad I have to do it only rarely.

The book, however, is going great. I got an amazing, amazing essay in from Pari Chang today, a former student who ditched her lawyering job to write full time. (She wrote about making that transition in SELF a few months ago). And I got another essay from a writer I met in Rome, Ethel Smith, a professor at a college in West Virginia who is writing a memoir about being a black woman in Berlin. Her essay is going to be extremely interesting--it will examine some race and class issues in a pretty surprising way. The book is so much fun--it is pretty much all pleasure. I feel so lucky to be able to do it. Working with all these great writers is amazing, being able to get personal fast (which I always love), getting to think and write and edit. About sex. What could be bad?

Ciao amici!
Paola

3 comments:

Blueeyes said...

Love the glasses. You look more like your sister in them!

:)

Ricki

Paula said...

The way my sister USED to look. She doesn't even need glasses anymore!

Spoon of life said...

Love the glasses they look great on you!!!
I cannot wait for your book I know it's going to be fantastic...

Stefano arrived today we started rehearsal...maybe we can meet for a coffee one day with him as well...

Ciao e buona domenica:)

Maria