Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A slight change in plans...

Well, life works in unpredictable ways, I guess. Sadly, the friend I was meeting up with in Sardinia (and staying in a house in a little village with) has to return to the states suddenly because his step mother died. Sad for him, for his family, and a bummer for me, expenses wise and mostly, companionship wise. I wasn't counting on this much time at the beach in Sardinia alone, sans transportation. So I extended my hotel stays (luckily, both were fairly inexpensive) and am planning to do a lot of reading. I'm bummed, but will make the best of it. How bad can a 10 day stay at two hotels on the beach in Sardinia be? So, this afternoon was a bit difficult, learning the news, trying to make some new plans. My friends have been a huge help to me, making reservations and being incredibly sweet.

Had dinner in Testaccio tonight at an old-fashioned Roman trattoria with good food and a very grumpy waitress. Saw old friends--I wish we'd had a bit more time together to get to know one another again, but it felt very nice seeing everyone. And I've been loving zipping all over Rome on the back of Federica's motorbike. What a way to see Rome! They took me by Renzo Piano's new performance center, which was interesting looking--not a particularly dignified or graceful looking building, but interesting to see.

Okay amici--not sure when I'll have easy access to a computer again...wish me luck in Sardinia.
Ciao!
Paola

2 comments:

Blueeyes said...

Sounds like you are rolling with the punches... likely this will lead to unexpected adventures!

angheluruju said...

hi paula - just came across your page couple of days ago ... i spent a week in sardegna - only drawback for me was it was in July and FAR too hot to do anything much between the hours of 11.00 - 18.00 ... you will have a FAB time (although I did have a problem converting my AMEX tc's) - but the locals are so helpful & my italian came on a dream :)