Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bathing beauty




I've been meaning to go the the baths of caraculla for years, and finally made it there--by metro. I found the ruins very poignant--more so than seeing all the governmental buildings in the forum. I think it's because of the function of the place--8000 or 9000 people came to these baths a day to exercise, wash or take in the waters--it seems as if it was such an incredible complex, with amazing sculpture, mosaics and engineering. The baths' existence came to an end when the goths invaded and cut off the water supply--since the baths were not in the center (which is where everyone went to protect against more invasions) they completely fell into disuse. In any case, it was grey and rainy, but I still found them beautiful and more evocative of life in ancient rome than other ruins I've seen.

I'm waiting for the last few essays to straggle in--I'm hoping to get at least two more finished, but writers--as much as I love 'em--will be writers and missed deadlines will be missed deadlines (not that I'm naming any names)! :-)

So I work when I can and am savoring my waning days in Roma when I can't.
Ciao! Off for dinner.
Paola

No comments: