Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Vaticanned out!




I was ultra-ambitious today and braved the crowds to see the Vatican museums. Basically, you move in a long snaking line through the main sights--the Greek and Roman sculpture, map rooms, Raffael rooms and finally, the Sistene Chapel. There were a bunch of little kids around me who were amazingingly patient--every room we got in, the little kids would say, Is this it? Is this the Sistene Chapel? Even some of the adults were doing it. People are crawling along past rooms with Picasso's and Francis Bacon's and Dali's in them, because everyone is so eager to get to Michaelangelo. In any case, I am always glad that I've done it, and always wrung out afterward.

Tonight I go (by scooter!--don't worry mom and dad!) to a literature festival in the roman forum. The woman who owns this apartment was nice enough to invite me--apparently, there are readings in English, and Italian actors act out the translations, then there is music. My friend Diana says it is a true Roman experience. I am nervous about riding on a scooter (the back of my landlady's), but promise to include a photo here--with helmet, of course!)
Ciao!
Paola

P.S. Above, frescoed ceilings, an 800 year old mosaic, and an ancient map of Puglia with Gallipoli marked, the place where I just traveled.

No comments: