Friday, May 11, 2007

So THIS is what it's like

...to really live in Rome (as opposed to being a tourist). Today, I did errands (refilled phone card, went to bank, went to supermarket, did laundry, went to dry cleaners--yes! found a dry cleaners and had a nice conversation with the crochety owner (in Italian) who wanted to know why the last four of five customers in his shop had been Americani) and readied myself for my visitors TK. Then, I went over to a (new) friend's apartment and had a glass of wine with her, then walked to a former working class turned trendy neighborhood (Testaccio) for an appertivo and pizza with more friends of friends. It felt great to socialize with people I'd met before and was fun telling everyone about the book. The whole experience felt authentic as opposed to vacation-y.
Arreviderci! Buono seratta!
Paola

No comments: