Monday, May 7, 2007

Rainy day blues


Yes, even in a city as amazing as Rome, even on a trip as incredible as this one, with my work under control, time to roam (in Rome), I have still been feeling blue the last few days. I think the first few weeks I was here, I was on a high, absolutely elated that my time was my own, that I was in Italy, surrounded by people speaking Italian. But even in idyllic surroundings, loneliness strikes.

Tomorrow, I head for Procida, a small island off of Naples, adjacent to Capri. I hope the beach has its usual salutory effect on me. Then, my first visitor comes. Not a moment too soon!
Buona notte!
Paola

1 comment:

nancytik said...

the loneliness of the long-distance traveler--a very specific and piercing kind of feeling, and one that i think is really part of the whole experience. it will make it all the nicer when your visitors arrive! and no matter what, you can be very proud that you already have half your book together--you've gone there and done what you set out to do!
hope you're lounging about in procida, as i write this, feeling cheered by the beach. --love, nw