Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The colors of Bologna








I learned a lot of things on this little trip to Bologna.
1) American lasagne bears no resemblance to lasagne bolognese
2) Don't travel to an Italian city during a holiday weekend--everything will be closed: museums, stores, etc., etc. (It was May 1st, Labor Day in Italy today; the upside was I got a ton of work done in my chic hotel)
3) There's a reason you haven't heard of the Bolognese school of art
4) When you are taking an Italian Eurostar train, the superfast, direct train that leaves Amtrak in the dust, you can't just board and sit in any seat you want. You need to sit in the right car AND the right seat. I did not know this, nor did I do this. Thus, I shlepped my suitcase back and forth through the crowded aisles several times over the course of the trip. I will know better next time.
5) If you want to meet men, travel by train in Italy, alone. Don't wear a wedding ring. I'm not saying you'll meet any men that you WANT to meet, but they will want to meet you.
6) There's no sense in buying one of those little portable thingamajigees to save all the stuff on your computer, if you're going to lose it. (I lost mine.) I will get another one tomorrow, and pray that everything on my computer doesn't disappear in the middle of the night.
7) On my next trip, I am ready to go to a beach and lie around in the sun with a good book. Proscida next weekend?
Buona notte!
Paola

No comments: