Monday, April 30, 2007

A convent it's NOT

I am enjoying living in the lap of luxury in Bologna, in my convent-turned-boutique hotel (for those who are interested, it's called: Il Convento dei Fiore di Seda (The Convent of Silk Flowers) and it's kind of like a W hotel except without the attitude and with much larger rooms). I love it. There's one of those giant, rainforest (or whatever they are called) showerheads, so I am taking two showers a day, and they give you all kinds of wonderful little snacks when you order a glass of wine from the bar. Plus, nice thick towels, bathrobes, slippers, and cool products in the bathroom, which I always appreciate. I guess I'm noticing the difference between northern and southern italy--elegance and sophistication and efficiency versus the south's kind of all-over-the-place, slightly decrepit charm. I feel disloyal to Rome and all things I love about the south, but it's nice to spend a few days being pampered in the north. Plus, the hotel has wireless, so I can work on my ultra comfy bed with linen sheets!

As for Bologna itself, I love the colors of the buildings--all peach and clay-colored and amber. The art is only okay--I think I've been spoiled by Rome and Sienna, but the Bolognese school doesn't exactly send me. Still, there are some beautiful piazzas, and cool architecture--there are these porticos/catwalks lining the streets (apparently, they were for horses), so you walk elevated under these kind of magnificent arched ceilings. Also, the food here is unbelievable--I've had the best lasagne I've ever had in my life (it was invented here), the the restaurants are truly elegant and delicious. It's a bit weird being the ONLY woman (or person, for that matter) alone at these places, but at this point I'm comfortable--I'm reading Jonathan Lethem's newest novel, You Don't Love Me Yet, which at first I thought was mediocre, but now I'm into, so I'm fine. But Italy is not a place where women do things on their own. When I checked into my hotel, the owner immediately said hello, and my name. I asked, How did you know it was me? And she said: You are the only woman here by yourself. I couldn't decide whether to feel proud or pathetic.
Returning to Roma via the ultra-fast Eurostar tomorrow evening, at which point I will post some lovely photos of Bologna on this very blog.
Buona notte!
Paola

2 comments:

Billy said...

Dear Paola,
Our nightly ritual is reading your blog updates---it's so entertaining! I've never been to Bologna, so I'm looking forward to the pix.
Am trying to convince Rosalind to go visit you--she's going to Geneva May 9th. Sadly, I think I won't make it...*sigh*.

nancytik said...

i want to live on the via malcontienti.