Wednesday, April 25, 2007

An ordinary working day in Trastevere





Well, I would say I had my first non-vacation day here--that is, I did actual real-people chores and worked for 7 hours! Did laundry (worked out okay, except I left my laundry there to do an errand, then wandered around in circles trying to find my way back. An occupational hazard of being geographically challenged me. (Laundry in my building is much, MUCH cheaper.) I got my phone card refilled--these work calls to the states are super expensive. Thank god for deductions! Talked to a few writers/friends or friends/writers--I'm really enjoying the relaxing element of being alone, but it is nice to talk to people who know me at the end of the day, and remember that I have a function. Had pizza at a local joint--mozzarella, fresh tomato, ricotta salata and fresh arugula. Got in a conversation with two Dutch guys who were sitting next to me--of course we got around to why I was in Rome and my book. It is disconcerting to have to tell strangers that I am working on a book about sex in real life--the things women are afraid to talk about. I went through my elevator spiel, and about 5 minutes later, one of the guys said: I don't understand what your book is about. Can you explain again? I'm not sure if it was the sex concept or the anthology concept, or that he just wanted to hear me talk about sex again. But he seemed to get it the second time around and said it was something he'd like to buy his wife--would it be published in Holland? I said I didn't know, and scurried out of there, bumping myself on a table on my way out the door. Very graceful exit.

I've attached a few photos: By request, (this is for you, Mia!) you'll see a collection of a few items I have purchased so far (not including a few prints I got in Siena). Yes, you'll notice that there is a profusion of orange, or arrancia, as they say in Italian. My ex used to get annoyed at all the orange in my wardrobe (and apartment) so, guess what? I'm buying more of it than ever. Take THAT! Seriously, arrancia seems to be THE color in Italy this year--when I purchased the bigger bag, which I LOVE, I said to the proprietor of the store in Siena: I guess it's a good year to like orange--I said it in Italian, I mean. (E un buon anno paracere arrancia.) He was impressed--he said: Complementi! I was even more impressed.
I also bought a dress, which I'm not sure if I like or hate. Not sure it's going to work in the Conde cafeteria.

Also took a shot of my little workspace--instead of working off the too-high dining room table, which was making my wrists hurt, I stowed the TV, took the little stand it was on, and am using it as a desk, which I moved right next to the window, so I can see and hear all the commotion outside, which is like white noise, Italian style. (Note the photo of the outdoor scene, above).

And that, in short, is an ordinary working day in Trastevere. Buona notte!
Ciao!
Paola

2 comments:

GlitterVictim said...

Welcome to Italy, Paula.

I hope you're enjoying your staying in Rome.

Probably you ate pizza with fresh rucola (spicy salad) ;)

About "orange":
ARANCIA is the fruit
ARANCIONE or ARANCIO is the color.

ciao!
GV

Unknown said...

Ciao,

My mind just wandered from my work to wonder... what is Paula is up to right now? So glad you went to Siena - and on such a glorious sunny day. Your pix make me vicariously happy, keep 'em coming.

Sara A.