Saturday, April 21, 2007

Map Girl!







Yes, it's true. I am actually getting around Rome by reading a map. This is a first for me--usually I rely on my sight memory and advice from passerby. It's actually easier with a map, now that I'm getting the hang of it. I still often walk in the exact opposite direction that I'm supposed to, but I usually figure out those errors before too long, as well.

Had a nice day today. Spent much of it in the Borghese Gardens, Rome's version of Central Park, sitting on a bench and editing a story. Yes, I worked!!! It was nice to be hanging with the other Romans on the weekend, enjoying the green of Rome. Then, later in the day, went to the garden of the ultra fancy Hotel Russie, splurge on a $15 glass of prosecco, and spent an hour and a half there working as well and surreptitiously watching the rich people. Or maybe they were all people who walked in off the street, like me. In any case, it's a nice place, with nice--not snobby--service. My waitress was from Vancouver and has been living in Rome for a year and is ready to leave, she said. I think people get tired of Rome the same way they get tired of NYC--but since I never get tired of NYC, I don't envision that being a problem.

Bought the absolute CUTEST bag today. And gloves in my favorite glove shop, Sermoneta. Everything here is so unbelievably expensive, but those gloves still feel like a value.

Just so you don't think I'm completely shallow, I did manage to get some culture. Walked to Piazza de Popolo and went into one of the churches, which has two Caravaggios, several Raphaels and a few Bernini's to boot. Incredible art for free!

Off to Siena tomorrow. Wish me luck navigating!
Ciao!!!
Paola

3 comments:

Blueeyes said...

You are reading a map! Believe me, I understand the excitement. But don't you think it is liberating to know you can get yourself anywhere now?

Love the commentary -- I keep checking to hear about your adventures!

Liz03 said...

I love hearing all about your daily routine in Roma - what a treat! Glad you found a fancy hotel to relax at. You can also hit up their concierge while you're there which is a great trick if you want a restaurant suggestion or reservation. They won't ask what room you're staying in if you just breeze up to the desk.
Keep posting your great photos! Hopefully, the computer difficulties will subside....

MP Dunleavey said...

can you post a picture of the bag and the gloves? i love the scenery too, don't get me wrong, but i want to see some other roman treats as well! post some pix of you at a cafe with your laptop, working girl!