Thursday, April 19, 2007

A plea for computer advice, and other good stuff





I am having many computer problems this a.m.--no matter how much I try, I'm unable to post photos to this item. I need to stop now or I could sit here all day. (Good news--several hours later, it finally worked!)
Problem 2: I put a disk in my little computer drive the first night I arrived and now the thing is jammed, which means I can't listen to music, do exercise tapes, not to mention load any new programs. I tried sticking a little pin in the tiny hole next to the button. Nothing. Any suggestions?
A few reasons yesterday was such a good day:
1) Found an Internet cafe within a 5 minute walk from my house (so I can work outside in a little piazza (right beyond the arch in the photo above)
2) Found a laundry place (while washing clothes in the sink and hanging them all around the apartment is a lovely Italian custom, I'm not going to adopt it if I don't have to!!!)
3) Found out where all the Italian mamas go with their little kids to hang out (the botanical gardens!) The lush photo with the headless statue and villa are the gardens, above.

4) Was able to purchase a blow dryer (harder than you might think)
5) Was about to purchase a pair of scissors (also harder)
6) Had a conversation of more than a minute and a half with the proprietor of a really nice wine and cheese store on Via San Francisco Ripeta, a nice nearby street, all in Italian, in which we discussed my wine purchases (he wanted to know what I was planning on eating with it, because it was a little sweet)
7) Got hit on by my waiter (a necessary ego boost)
8) Walked from my apartment in Trastevere (a terrible photo above; you can see my laundry hanging and also the little cards my colleague cristina gave me that show different walks in Rome--they're great for decorating!) to the botanical gardens, then across the river into Rome proper, where I made stops at the Pantheon, participated in the passagiatta on the fashionable Via Condotti, where I made stop into Tod's and lusted after their shoes, as I do every time I'm here. (Will I ever be able to justify spending $300 on a pair of shoes? Maybe if my book is a best seller.) Then on to the Spanish steps which were covered in purple azaleas. So unbelievable. Unfortunately, the batteries in my camera had died at that point. Took in the view of St. Peter's from the top of the Spanish steps, sat on a wall and listened to all the Americans, who all seemed so happy to be in Rome. Then, I meandered my way back (okay, got lost a few times) with stops at Piazza Navona (the Bernini statue is covered in scaffolding!), Campo Di Fiori, my friend Diana's old apartment, then back to Trastevere, where I had a lovely meal in a piazza. Pretty good for one day.

No comments: