Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A room with a view






Yes, Tuscany is all that--the hills, the food, the wine, the art. Or, at least, Siena is. I was really overwhelmed by the quantity and accessibility of the art--just me and all those Duccios, Simone Martinis, Taddeos, Donatellos, etc., etc., etc. Apparently, all those tourists were doing something other than looking at the art. I stayed in a wonderful little hotel with an incredible view from my window (I need to add here that I spent many a happy hour sitting on my bed, working on my book, looking at the view of the Duomo; beauty inspires industry!), and a little rooftop terrace where I ate my breakfast. I walked for hours and hours every day, taking in as much art as I could handle. I also met someone on the train to Siena and we had a nice dinner together--like a real traveler! Meeting people on trains. It was great to have someone to linger over dinner with.

I found so much about Siena's history fascinating--it peaked in the 1200s; was truly the center of art, culture and architecture, as you can see from these photos: Then the plague hit and 1/2 to 2/3 of the population died and the city never recovered. The population was bigger then (100,000) than it is now (60,000). It honestly felt as if I was seeing Sistene Chapel quality art everywhere I turned--the take-your-breath-away kind. And it was so much fun to wander the twisty streets. Also, the food was incredible. Every day, I went to these little butcher shops and got sandwiches of these wonderful cold cuts--salamis, something called copa, proscuitto, and truffled cheeses. (I've never eaten so much pork in my life.) Then I would eat my sandwich in the Campo, the main square, which you can see above. Some of the places would even give you a little cup of Chianti to go, and this is GOOD Chianti, from a few towns away. At night, I went to sleep with a view of the Duomo framed out my hotel window, preceding by amazing sunsets. Can't beat it.

I feel refreshed, like I've gotten a bit of wanderlust out of me, and am ready to focus hard on the book. I put all that I have that is fully revised so far and ready to edit in one document, and I have over 100 pages in very good shape. Feels good.

Ciao!!!
Paola

2 comments:

Blueeyes said...

Yay, Paula! I'm so happy every time I read your blog -- I feel compelled to post to it rather than send a personal email. So glad you are having fun, AND getting work done. See, it all can work out!
Love,
rjf

MP Dunleavey said...

wow--100 pages already? you are going to have this done by may 15--and then you'll need a real "roman holiday" to fill your time. keep on rockin'!