Saturday, April 28, 2007

Lights, camera...fountains!








Hello, you lucky people--I'm posting twice today, because the light was simply so spectacular today that I have to show off my photos. Made it to the Trevi Fountain today; it was interesting watching the crowds watch the fountain. I made a wish, but didn't actually throw a coin in; I couldn't get close enough. Will it still be granted?

It's my nature to compare, so I've made a list of some of the ways Rome has it over NYC, and NYC has it over Roma.

Ways Roma has it over NYC:
1) They are incredibly nice about letting you use the bathroom at any restaurant--they NEVER say no.
2) The light
3) The food (that counts for a lot)
4) The art
5) The drama
6) The beauty
7) The charm
8) The food is a bit cheaper, especially in markets (everything else is just as expensive or MORE expensive. Damn Euro!
9) La bella lingua italiana

Ways that NYC has it over Roma:
1) It's less polluted and quieter (really!)
2) The cultural scene: theater, film
3) My nephews
4) My friends (friends, don't be offended at being fourth on the list--I'm talking to you Nancy, if you're reading; this is in no particular order)
5) The intellectual stimulation
6) My wonderful apartment is in NYC--I miss it!
7) Phenomenal water pressure (the showers in Italy suck--excuse my Italian)
8) Lots of bookstores with books in English because I'M BORED WITH THE ONES I BROUGHT!
9) Ziplock baggies--the saran wrap in Italy is defective and the packages lack a serrated edge so it's impossible to rip it off the roll (I'll find anything to complain about)

Sono finito!
Buona sera!
Paola

2 comments:

Blueeyes said...

I love your NYC vs. Roma comparison list. Just goes to show -- home is where the heart is, and your heart is with your boys and your friends. And your most excellent apartment (with the orange) and the water pressure, both of which I can vouch for.

I always check to see if you have an update -- every time you post I get a little jolt of vicarious happiness as I follow your journey.

Love,
Ricki

nancytik said...

i am SO flattered to be mentioned on your list, in such a non-neurotic and mature capacity. it's true, i couldn't understand why i wasn't #1 (and #2 and #3) on your list of good things in nyc, but since i wasn't, i'll take any mention at all!
the light in that top photo is spectacular and your toes are beauteous. (are the nail salons in roma korean??) my parents got here tonight, to the delight of their granddaughter...more tomorrow. --love, nw