Saturday, April 28, 2007

To market, to market....




As nice as solitude is, I really appreciate any contact with people who live here, especially people who know my neighborhood, because I definitely learn things I wouldn't have stumbled on myself. This afternoon, I took myself around to the spots the British historian clued me in on last night and had the BEST pizza ever--it's a takeaway pizza and bread place called La Renella, and I had a slice with the most thinly-sliced pieces of potato on top that you can imagine--it had the perfect amount of olive oil, salt. It was heaven. Also stopped by the neighborhood outdoor market and bought some radishes, which I don't even like, because they looked so pretty. The plan is to make a nice salad tonight with the fresh produce, then, of course, wander out and have a pre-bedtime gelato at the Brit's favorite gelato place--one I wouldn't have gone into myself because it's on a little sidestreet and looks kind of undistinguished. Life is good. Tomorrow, bologna; I have a few Mario Batali recommended restaurants to try--on his website, he mentions restaurants he loves all over Italy, and he claims that Bologna is the culinary center of the country. Looking forward to browsing those markets, if they're open. This is a long weekend for the Italians--their Labor Day (May Day). You know, it's a communist thing.

Buon gionatta!
Paola

No comments: