Tuesday, April 17, 2007

It's a neighborhood thing



So, I'm fast learning the good and bad of Trastevere, my new neighborhood, kind of a Greenwich Village-y, artsy, touristy former working class district of Rome that still has tiny streets with laundry hanging and beautiful golden light. This piazza is Piazza Santa Maria Trastevere, one of my favorite churches in Rome, and it's about two blocks from my apartment. It's known for its beautiful mosaics, but actually I like it because the facade of the church is made of old Roman stones that have various writing on them--kind of like Roman graffiti. That's one of the great parts of the neighborhood. Also good is the liveliness (the downside is that it is VERY noisy, even at 3 AM on a Monday night--thank god for earplugs) and that there are a proliferation of American students here. All the food I've eaten so far has been great, down to the crema cornetto I had for breakfast (and I don't even like pastry with cream in it--it is the only one they had left. Had my first supermarket experience and for the life of me couldn't figure out which milk was skim. Ultimately, made it home, despite carrying four heavy bags and forgetting that hailing a cab is not very common. In any case, a great first day. My apartment feels more settled in already.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Paula, it's your cousin, Andy. Your parents sent out the blog URL. Rome for a couple of months sounds fantastic. Look forward to hearing all about it.

Cristina said...

Hi, Paula-

It sounds like you're already getting settled - how exciting! I assume those cards you're decorating the apt with are the ones I gave you? That makes me happy. We miss you here already...

I look forward to your next post! Living vicariously through you...

xo

Liz03 said...

Paola - this is so exciting to read about. Go for the cornetto con marmelatta next..yum yum! Since the 'bar' only has limited bfast options, you can easily rationalize cappucinos and croissants every day - have one for me!
Un bacio,
Liz