Friday, April 27, 2007

High art...and low


I found a place to get a manicure and pedicure today--just down the street. All is right with the world. Also had a remarkably social day. Got invited to lunch by a writer I'm hoping may contribute to the anthology--she is a fellow at the American Academy in Rome--kind of a writers colony in this beautiful, huge villa, with gardens, fountains, incredible studios with views over Rome where artists can do their art. An amazing (though slightly rarified and stuffy-seeming place). Was fun to actually get behind the locked gates. Then, of course, I get to sit with this smart woman and talk about sex--what's more fun than that?

Then spent hours walking all over Rome again--the benefit of being geographically challenged the way I am is that every corner holds a surprise: Oh--here are the Spanish steps! How did I get here? Oh, here's my favorite ice cream place. Basically, I walk around in circles and surprise myself every time by where I end up.

Had a last minute dinner with a friend of a friend who is a historian (of the Italian resistance during the war) but is currently working for a development agency--she's British but has lived in Rome for six years. So I got a nice little insider's tour of Trastevere (she lives a few blocks away); she pointed out the best gelato place, the best take-away pizza, and it was nice to share a meal with someone.

Tomorrow, work, then on to Bologna, culinary capital of Italy (according to Mario Batali). Looking forward to taking the high-speed Eurostar train and staying in an ultra chic hotel that is a converted convent.

Many photos TK!
Ciao!
Paola

No comments: