Thursday, June 7, 2007

Comings and going


I had a hard time getting to Rome (remember the storm and the 300 flights cancelled?) and now I may have a hard time leaving. Bush is coming tomorrow, and on Saturday, is coming to the piazza adjacent to my street. Apparently, the entire neighborhood will be closed off, so I am not sure how the car is going to get in to pick me up (and my massive amount of luggage). I am nervous about it!!! Here is what the paper says:

Meanwhile, the main concern for security officials is a planned trip by Bush on Saturday to the picturesque neighbourhood of Trastevere in the heart of Rome where he intends to visit one of the city's oldest churches, Santa Maria in Trastevere.

The US president is also slated to visit the nearby headquarters of Sant'Egidio, a Catholic organisation known for its mediation efforts in international conflicts.

But Trastevere is a maze of small streets, squares and alleys, making security particularly difficult.

Police are considering setting up a temporary, 10-metre-long tunnel near the Trastevere church which will allow the Bush delegation to travel through the area in greater safety.

Access to the neighbourhood will be blocked on Saturday and rubbish bins and manholes sealed.
Yikes!

No comments: