Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Two more days....sob!




My time here is drawing to a close. I had a wonderful day, just wandering around, enjoying the light, finishing up all my gift shopping and just savoring these last hours in bella Roma. I feel sad to leave--how could I not?--but so lucky to have been able to have spent this time here. These last few weeks, especially, have been wonderful; I've done more socializing in Rome and just appreciated everything with that intensity that happens when you know something is about to end. Except I know I will come back here, in some way, and now have many people to potentially swap apartments with!

Am I a changed person? Maybe, in small ways. Here, a list of minor transformations:
1) I can safely say that I (mostly) feel entirely comfortable being alone--eating alone, traveling alone, wandering alone, looking ahead to a weekend with no one to be with by myself. That is a big shift, especially after the break up, when being alone felt extremely uncomfortable. I've really savored this time to myself. I've definitely had some intense bouts of loneliness, but there is something very relaxing and reassuring about knowing that I feel comfortable on my own, that it doesn't trigger any panicky feelings.
2) I feel like a more self confident traveler. I can read a map! I can go from place to place without thinking much about it.
3) I can make myself understood in Italian. And understand--if the person is speaking directly to me and is speaking sloooowly. I feel proud of that.
4) I discovered I actually like to eat fruits and vegetables on a regular basis--they are SO good here. I need to find a farmer's market back in NYC.
5) I can eat gelato every single day, without gaining weight, as long as I walk at least 3-5 hours a day. Hmmm. Not sure that revelation is going to translate once I am back in an office.
6) Seeing amazing art and architecture brings me an incredible amount of pleasure. I knew that already, but will try to fit more museum going into my life back in NYC.
7) I edited nearly 200 pages of my book, and still have six months til the deadline. And I'm still having a lot of fun with it.
8) Sad as I am to leave (and sadder, still, about having to get up with an alarm clock and not being able to roam around all day--in Rome), I am looking forward to getting back to my life in NYC--my job, my colleagues at SELF, my apartment, my friends, my family. I like my life; I've made a nice one for myself and it is good to realize that.
That may be about it. A modest list, but a good one, I think.
Ciao!
Paola (for two more days!)

No comments: