Friday, August 17, 2007

I am not a crook!

Saw the play Nixon and Frost with Frank Langella playing Nixon--it was intense and fascinating, the back story of how David Frost's series of interviews with Nixon, in which he admitted wrongdoing in Watergate and apologized to the American public came about. Makes me want to read All the President's Men again. David Frost was apparently kind of a playboy fatuous talk show host, which is partly why Nixon agreed to do the interviews with him--Nixon thought it would be an easy way to increase his stature. Turns out Nixon was wrong--the Frost team found a transcript which ended up proving that Nixon knew about the Watergate coverup long before he said he did, and was involved from the beginning. That ended up bringing Nixon down.
So, three plays in a week and a half. That's what I call taking advantage of New York City's cultural scene. I've had a really great summer so far, culturally speaking. Not even counting Italy, I saw Ani DiFranco at the Prospect Park bandshell. She is my new musical idol. I've listened to nothing else but compilations of all her music that my friend Wes and CL-3 were nice enough to give me. So great to discover new music that I like! Also saw the Philadanco dance company--an amazing group; if you ever get a chance to catch them at the Joyce, do it--at summerstage. And have been to the Hamptons, the Berkshires, the Adirondacks, plus enough weekends left over to laze around NYC. In short: I am having a very happy summer. Happier, I realized recently, than my summers with my ex. And that is something very nice to realize.

Tomorrow I am going to Bayhead, one of my few forays to the Jersey Shore. Don't worry--I'll have my camera in tow and will record all blog-worth events, excluding anything romantic, which will remain divorced from this virtual diary so I can retain my dignity and professional reputation. :-)

Ciao.
Paola

No comments: