Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Procrasti...nation!




I had five or six essays to read and comment on tonight before my media bistro workshop tomorrow (you can see it at mediabistro.com under courses )
. So what did I do instead? Well, I read one and a half but I also:
1) Went to a play (Beyond Glory), a one-man show where the actor plays a number of war veterans who've won the medal of honor; he tells each of their stories in character. At first I thought: Oh no! A monologue of war stories for an hour and a half. I'm going to die of boredeom. But the acting was amazing and stories were incredibly moving, and, while gory at times, not over the top. Very raw and real. Loved it! It wasn't anti-war--it was real about the war from individual, usually impoverished and undereducated soldiers' points of view. It was incredible--a real treat and surprise, rare at the theater these days. It was also fun to see the show without knowing anything about it--I subscribe to the roundabout theater company, and I just show up--don't read reviews or even remind myself of the name of the play. And it kind of feels fresher to see the shows that way--you can respond without knowing what the critics thought beforehand. (I'm all for reading the critics afterward.) (Okay, the play doesn't count as procrastination, since I'd bought the tickets months ago and had to go.)
2) Luckily, the play ended at 9, so I decided I had time to go food shopping at Gourmet Garage (which is open til 10). I had to--I was out of fresh milk!
3) Come home, put groceries away.
4) Put out fresh flowers
5) Do the dishes
6) Do three--count 'em--three loads of laundry.
7) Fold said laundry.
8) change my sheets
9) change my duvet cover (counts as a separate task). In fact, I am totally "girl-ifying" my bedroom (see my efforts, above). I rediscovered a Marimekko duvet cover that I haven't used (the ex hated it) and put it on, added some buckwheat pillows (those are the best--a local cheapie linens shop sells them for $20)
10) send an email to my agent
11) do this blog!!!!!

No wonder I have four essays to go (and that doesn't include the final comments, which I will have to do in dribs and drabs tomorrow) and it's already ten minutes to one. I'm on a real staying up jag, lately. I like it. As you can see above, I am quite productive from the hours of 10 pm til 1 am.
Buona notte!
Paola

2 comments:

Spoon of life said...

Wow you surely got some work done today and some fun time too...that's a perfect balance:)

Baci!!!

Paula said...

I can't wait to see your show after all the glowing reviews. You must be so proud
Paula