Thursday, December 13, 2007

Pragmatic sensualism--it's a philosophy!




I hate winter but I love that in New York City, the tulips start appearing (in vats outside Korean deli's, that is) this time of year. I love the colors and how the shape of the arrangement morphs as the stems get longer, like an evolving sculpture. And the cheap side of me loves that they last almost a week if you cut them and change the water every day or two (kind of like taking care of a cat, I'd imagine).


This is holiday party season. I always feel as if I should take advantage of the opportunities to go to parties and mingle, but somehow it feels like an obligation instead of something fun. I'd rather go to parties that just crop up at unexpected times of the year, like my "beat the february blahs" party a few years ago. Not to pat myself on my own back, or anything.




Got a new watch today--a great deal on the web--a new, $300 Swiss Army watch on Amazon for $125 with free shipping. A bargain! Now, I can buy a serious watch (Omega? Cartier? Tag Hauer, which I am oddly attracted to.) I seem to be drawn toward both Italian and German design; both are streamlined with high quality materials, but German design is utilitarian taken to a high art while Italian is sensuality taken to a high art. Kind of sums up the dual parts of my personality--the pragmatic sensualist. That's what I am.




Ciao i baci amici--


Paola




No comments: