Sunday, March 18, 2007

Adventures in babysitting

















I babysat for my nephews tonight, ostensibly as a thank-you to my brother-in-law for being so helpful with my book contract (for some things, you really DO need a lawyer--those contracts are indecipherable) but truly, nothing makes me happier than hanging with my boys. The little one, Caleb, expressed the wish that I would babysit "forever." You can't buy, beg or borrow love like that. It would be nice to find that kind of whole-hearted, give and take love in a relationship with a grown-up man. There is something so unconditional about my love for my nephews: I'm not the mom, so I don't have to worry and suffer angst over them (that's what their parents are for); I can just enjoy them and spoil them and appreciate them for themselves and they seem to do the same. Does anyone experience that with a significant other, in the real world? It would be nice to come close.

No comments: