Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The birth of a new book


It all started on a Memorial Day weekend in the Catskills, nearly two years ago. I was sitting on the porch of a quaint house owned by my good friend MP Dunleavey, in the quaint town of Andes, talking with MP and another good friend Caroline about my long simmering wish to do a book. The three of us love to talk about our careers (and the men in our lives), but especially about our careers. One thing led to another, and I blurted out, What about a book on sex in real life? (Well, it didn't come quite that easily, but almost--MP and Caroline are that inspiring.) Anyway, for a long time, I'd been wondering why I seemed to be the only one who liked to talk about sex--or, at least, why I was the only one who brought it up. To me, it's such an important part of life, an important part of being human, but it's still incredibly tough to talk about--talk about honestly that is--even with close friends. I happen to think that's partly because we've all been conditioned to believe that most people out there are having the Sex and the City experience; that if we happen not to be having that kind of no-holds barred, always-fulfilling passion, we're somehow missing the boat. I thought women might benefit from a book that tells the stories we wish we could tell, the kinds of things all of us wonder about--Am I normal? Does everyone feel like this? The idea evolved over the course of that fun-filled, sun-filled weekend and soon after that, I wrote my first pitch to an agent. (Of course, it took almost a year and a half to finally finish the thing, but that's another story.) So, I dedicate this post to the Off Road Girls, or O.R.G. as we like to refer to ourselves--MP, Caroline and me, Paula. (That's us, having an ORG night out.) Long may we roam!
Ciao!

1 comment:

MP Dunleavey said...

Aw! That's sweet, PD. thank you. it makes me so happy that after all the support you have given to me and my career over the years that a single sunny morning on my humble porch could lead to your fab book. whoooeeeee!