Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Reaching out into the vacuum

Does anyone read this nascent blog? And, more important, does it matter? The problem is, ever mindful of my professional reputation and all kinds of other things, I hesitate to be extremely personal and reveal my innermost thoughts, fears, insecurities, kinks, oddities and quirks, as lovable as all of those may be. But if I'm not writing to please myself, then who am I writing for?

Had a drink with sociologist and University of Washington professor Pepper Schwartz tonight, who has a new book out, called Prime, about her sex life through the ages, but mostly, about finding love (and sex) and happiness as a newly single woman in her '50s. She's the best, like the big sister or super-cool aunt I never really had (though my younger sister is kind of like my big sister, come to think of it.) She is a huge advocate of online dating--my feelings are more mixed. I guess I view it as a necessary evil. But I don't have to think about any of that until after I come back from Rome. While in Rome, I am going to live life--shop for great food (even if I don't cook), drink nice wine, sit in cafe's with my lap top and work, look around and catch the occasional cute Roman's eye (I hope), and get more comfortable speaking Italian. Modest goals, good to start with modest goals.
Buona notte!
Paola

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I'm a Self fan and I came across your blog through the Self Challenge. I think its great!

I'm insanely jealous of your trip to Rome. The apartment looks adorable. I've been dying to take a trip to Europe but I don't think it will be happening anytime in the near future. For now I'll look forward to spring and the warm weather.

Good luck with the challenge-congrats on losing 13 lbs!