Friday, March 9, 2007

In the spin

I never thought I'd be the type of person to take a spinning class. I hate going to classes where people scream out, Wooo-HOOOO! Because let's face it--that's annoying. Spinning is hard, it hurts, you sweat a lot, and who needs someone screaming in your ear? The way I do spinning is this: I sit on a bike that's as far back from the instructor as possible, and is partially obscured from her vision. I stick a towel on my seat so my butt doesn't get sore. And I put the resistance down to zero when I get exhausted, even if everyone else is standing up in the saddle, pumping away. The reality is, I still sweat buckets, I still burn calories, and I still get a better workout than I would if I were merely reading a magazine on the elliptical trainer.

In any case, I'm spinning today, hopefully with my colleague Kate Lewis--another perk of working at SELF is that we often sneak out to the gym together midday--it's a very SELF-y thing to do. Will be able to rack up lots of workouts for the Challenge this week--I'm visiting my parents in Florida with my 9-year-old nephew, Jordan, and there's a great workout center at the 55-plus place where they live. Everyone working out is over 70, so I get to feel like a young studette!

Ciao!

2 comments:

Required said...

I really think spinning is something you end up falling in love with. At least I did! I have biking shorts that I wear. Horribly dorky looking, but really make the whole seat thing much more pleasant. Of course, I also have spinning shoes, so I really don't mind looking like a dork at the gym.

Liz03 said...

So funny! I've never done spinning, but if (when?) I do, I'll definitely be hiding in the back and sit on a towel. Hope the class goes well!