Thursday, January 10, 2008

The body of a sexpert

Tomorrow I start working with my new, very own personal trainer, a 21-year-old (if he is a day) classically trained cellist from Alabama--very unintimidating (which has its good and bad sides) but in general seems like he will be nice to work with. I bought 12 sessions for $800 but you get two free sessions and I figure hey, maybe it will help me take it more seriously. He did the Equifit workover on me and, as always, the stats it yielded were sobering. Heart rate, blood pressure were all fine, which is good, but my body-fat percentage? YIKES. Suffice it to say that I have to lose 6 percent of my body fat, which seems a doable if challenging goal in a year. Or, to put it another way, I want to lose 25 pounds. That way, besides being healthier, I'll be able to stand in front of clamoring crowds at bookstores and wear something cute and radiate sex appeal yet intelligence and mensch-ness (is there a word for a female mensch?) without feeling embarrassed or extremely self conscious. So, I'm going to blog about my efforts. Here, a few more stats:

As of January 09, 2006:
Weight: 153
Height: 5'3"
pushups (man style): 15
flexibility: average
body fat: 32%
CO2 capacity: low
resting heart rate: 62
b. pressure: 110/80

THIS, after working out fairly consistently for years. I need to start doing interval training and pushing myself harder if I want to see results--improvement requires at least a teeny bit of pain at the gym, and I've been feeling no pain--all the pain has been in getting myself there, but once I'm there, I work up the same light sweat for 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer, do the same 30-40 sit ups, the same 8-20 pushups, the same stretches. I'm sure it's better than nothing, but I'm not exactly seeing sexpert worthy RESULTS. So, here's hoping that committing some of my earnest efforts at self improvement to the blog-o-sphere will motivate me to work hard and follow through and get strong and healthy (and sexy wouldn't hurt either).
Ciao--
Paola

No comments: