Monday, January 28, 2008

Mormons, freak hail storms and other fun stuff













Today was our last day at Red Mountain Spa and an eventful one it was. We started off with a gorgeous, otherworldy hike in nearby Snow Canyon, led by an intrepid guide in her seventies, a great grandmother, mother of 7 and a former Mormon. While we were hiking, I told her I was doing a book, and mentioned that one of my essayists, Jane Juska, wrote about having her first orgasm of 30-odd years in her 70s. And our guide blurted out, "Never had one of those!" This from a woman who was married six times--she had really fascinating things to say about the Mormon church, why she broke with it, and other fascinating stuff. That's why I love doing the book: People always come out with interesting things--women are just waiting for an opportunity to talk about these things.

When we returned from the hike, which was full of all kinds of incredible sandstone rock formations, the weather turned blustery and we wisely (as it turned out) decided to skip Zion, since within minutes, it began wildly hailing and snowing. So we spent the rest of the day doing Pilates, having a facial and hanging. The only downside: After all our spa-ing and pampering and exercising and healthy eating (I've eaten more vegetables in the past four days than I have in the last two months), both Julia and I are feeling a bit, well, sick. Oh well--at least it hit us on our last evening; I'm returning to a short work week, and am planning to dive into book revisions and other fun stuff. (New dates? Interesting men? Who knows what can happen with my new spa-ified self?)
Ciao--
Paola

No comments: