Saturday, January 5, 2008

Three crucial inches





One of the many perks of my job at SELF is I get easy, sometimes free access to the best and newest beauty products. Right now, in preparation for our annual Best Beauty issue, I'm testing shower gels and skin lotions; 4 of the first, 6 of the second. I am in love with this stuff called Ted Gibson (I think); the gel smells like grapefruit with a hint of sweetness and I've gone through 3/4 of the bottle in about 10 days. I could eat it up--when it's on me, I feel like dessert! It's been one of the highlights during this bout with a cold I'm enduring.

Speaking of highlights, during the holidays, mine was a 2-minute interaction with my friend MP Dunleavey's genius baby Connor (that's him around Thanksgiving): We were in his parents' bedroom, MP getting ready for New Year's, and Connor was playing in front of the mirror, running at himself. And I said, "Connor, come here and let me give you kisses!" and he ran half way toward me, then laughed, turned around, and turned back again. Then he did it again, running toward me a little closer, and turning back, then the third time he ran straight into my arms and we tumbled back over onto the bed, his wonderful baby-laughter pealing. I was being teased and flirted with by a 15-month old. It was TOO cute.

Another hightlight: Christmas night. My friend came over and offered to fix something with my refrigerator. So, singlehandedly, he pulled out the refrigerator (full of stuff), countertop and stove, then shoved them back in so tightly against the wall that for the first time in two years, I CAN OPEN MY REFRIGERATOR ALL THE WAY. So yes, ladies, sometimes two or three inches does indeed matter.
Ciao--
Paola
P.S. That's the lovely view of my new-and-improved kitchen. I think I'm going to get it painted turquoise and the cabinets some kind of bright. Would that be weird? If you're going to take a decorating risk, painting seems as if you'd have the least to lose.

No comments: